Everyday we face obstacles: bad weather, unexpected projects, finances, difficult conversations, etc. And sometimes we just need to refresh, refocus, & re-energize QUICKLY. What I’ve found works best is finding actions that intentionally shift my mood.
Training our thoughts to always think positive is hard; especially on the days where nothing is going right.
Our goal is all of this is to train our brains for greater fulfillment, joy, and success:
- BREAK THE TRAIN OF THOUGHTS/FEELINGS: usually negative. stress, anxious, anger
- DISTRACT YOURSELF FOR A FEW MINUTES: reference the boosters below
- REBOOT YOUR MIND
Below are my Top 10 Mood Boosters, plus my very specific personal “go-tos” that I know will work for me. Do you have any Mood Boosters you rely on?
TOP 10 MOOD BOOSTERS
- MUSIC: “send me on my way” by Rusted Root or “somewhere over the rainbow” by Israel Kamakawiwoʻole
- WARMTH: coffee in a mug, preferably at a locally owned cafe. allows you to slow down and, according to a Yale study “physical warmth can make us see others as warmer people, but also cause us to be warmer – more generous and trusting – as well.”
- FRESH FLOWERS: daffodils, tulips & . according to a Harvard study, flowers are the perfect “pick-me-up to boost morning moods.” choose citrus-colored flowers for a sunny feeling.
- CITRUS: if you need to be woken up, make my citrus tonic drink: mix seltzer, half lemon, apple cider vinegar, brewed unsweetened ginger tea, stevia or stur water enhancer (optional).
- WALKING: especially if you’re surrounded by nature, green, water. Take deep breaths.
- VIEWS: water views; such as going to the beach, a lake, man-made pool – is escape from the real world. listen to the sounds (crashing of waves, boats going by) and the scent of salt and flowers in the air.
- STRETCHING: shoulder stretch behind back: lace fingers together behind the back and slowly pull shoulders down & back. hold for 30-seconds.
- SCENT: lavender or orange lotion; take a few seconds to rub into hands & smell the scent.
- MINI SPA: at home face masks make you feel fresh and energetic or a chair massage at your local nail salon will relive stress and tightness.
- DO SOMETHING NICE: send a nice text to a friend, buy someone a coffee, leave a co-worker a surprise $1 chocolate or little note that just says “hi!” doing good does YOU good.